How to work with your Chakra Energy System using Essential Oils
Understanding your Chakras and their corresponding essential oils can help balance, clear, and heal your energy.
Our seven main chakras, also called Energy Centers, run from the base of our spine to the space at the top of our head. These centers are energetic recording devices for all our life experiences, the good, the not so good..all of them. The word “Chakra” means wheel in Sanskrit, and each of these wheels runs energy up our spine to our brain and higher consciousness.
In order for our energy system to feel balanced and for us to experience stability in our physical and emotional bodies, and to keep this vital channel open, it is necessary that we keep our Chakras in balance. It is said that when our Chakras are out of balance, they can be either overactive or underactive. This means the wheels are either “spinning” too fast, or too slow.
Experienced memories can become “stuck” in our energetic field, causing this imbalance. When the vertical channel of the spine is compromised by either under or overactive Chakra energy, we can experience health imbalances.
We can remedy and balance or heal our Chakras by using essential oils, which are not only great tools for physical health but also emotional and spiritual health as well.
Each of the oils described below is associated with a specific Chakra. Take note of the Chakra location, it’s quality, gland association, element, and mantra. You can apply the oils directly to the Chakra location, on the bottoms of the feet, or diffuse the essential oil throughout the day. When applying essential oils to the skin, use a base dilution oil of fractionated coconut or other carrier oil (olive oil or jojoba for example).
It is recommended to work with one Chakra, one day at a time. If you are looking for a full rebalance, I recommend starting at your Root Chakra, the first Chakra and then working your way up the spine to the Crown Chakra.
The First Chakra | Root Chakra
- Sanskrit: Muladhara
- Color: Red
- Element: Earth
- Location: base of the spine
- Balanced Qualities: Groundedness, stability, abundant health, feel secure and safe, content with where you are in life and career.
- Underactive Qualities: Self-neglect, lack of boundaries, dislike or fear of change, unsettled feelings and tendencies.
- Overactive Qualities: Nervousness, binge or overeating, addiction to adrenaline, obsession with material possessions.
- Body Location Where Physical Issues May Occur: lower back, legs and feet .
- Physical issues which may occur: Lower back or hip pain, frequently gets sick, constipation, pain in legs and feet.
- Gland Association: Ovaries & Testes.
- Organ Association: Testes, Kidneys, Spine
Mantras to use when working with the First Chakra
“I am balanced.”
“I am worthy.”
“I belong here.”
Essential Oils for the 1st Chakra
- Siberian Fir
The Second Chakra | Sacral Chakra
- Sanskrit Name: Svadhishthana
- Color: Orange
- Element: Water
- Location: Lower abdomen, below the navel
- Balanced Qualities: Sensuality, Sexuality, ability to experience pleasure, generous, healthy boundaries, balanced hormones, creatively expressive.
- Underactive Qualities: Sexual repression, lack of social skills, low desire or passion for life, guarded, unemotional.
- Overactive Qualities: Compulsive behaviors and patterns, emotional dependence on others, easily frustrated, excessive sex drive, overly emotional
- Body Location Where Physical Issues May Occur: reproductive organs
- Physical issues which may occur: Reproductive disorders, sexual dysfunction, lack of physical sensation, monthly cycle challenges.
Mantras to use when working with the Second Chakra
“I am full of creative potential.”
“I embrace life.”
“I am a sensory being.”
Essential Oils to use with the 2nd Chakra
- Black Pepper
- Wild Orange
The Third Chakra | Solar Plexus Chakra
- Sanskrit Name: Manipura
- Color: Yellow
- Element: Fire
- Location: Solar Plexus
- Balanced Qualities: Confidence, reliability, spontaneity, playfulness, good sense of humor, warm personality, decisive, responsible.
- Underactive Qualities: Low self-esteem, lack of vision, low self-trust, unreliable, does not take responsibility, reliance on or attracted to stimulants.
- Overactive Qualities: Bossy, power-hungry, self-centered, narrow thinker, competitive, lying, reliance on or attracted to sedatives.
- Gland Association: Pancreas
- Organ Association: Intestines, Pancreas, Liver, Bladder, Stomach, Upper Spine
- Body Location Where Physical Issues May Occur: intestines, stomach
- Physical issues which may occur: Eating disorders, excessive food allergies, depression, issues with digestion.
Mantras to use when working with the Third Chakra
“I accept myself.”
“I express and release anger.”
“I trust and accept myself.”
Essential Oils to use with the 3rd Chakra
The Fourth Chakra |Heart Chakra
- Sanskrit Name: Anahata
- Color: Green
- Element: Air
- Location: Heart center
- Balanced Qualities: Love for oneself, compassionate, empathetic, strong immune system.
- Underactive Qualities: Seclusion, fear of getting hurt, fear of relationships, possessive, antisocial, suspicious.
- Overactive Qualities: Jealous, codependent, clingy, overly giving, overly empathetic.
- Body Location Where Physical Issues May Occur: circulatory system, heart
- Physical issues which may occur: Circulation issues, deficient immune system.
- Gland Association: Thymus
- Organ Association: Heart, Lungs
Mantras to use when working with the Fourth Chakra
“I let go of the past and forgive myself and others.”
“I am kind to myself.”
“I fearlessly love myself.”
Essential Oils to use with the 4th Chakra
- Ylang Ylang
The Fifth Chakra | Throat Chakra
- Sanskrit Name: Vishudda
- Color: Blue
- Element: Sound
- Location: Throat
- Balanced Qualities: Open communication, good listener, speaks confidently, good sense of timing of speech (what to say, and when), comfortable with body language.
- Underactive Qualities: Withdrawn, fears of expression, shyness, weak voice, poor social rhythm.
- Overactive Qualities: Excessive talker, inability to listen, interrupts others, gossips, loud voice.
- Main Right: to express oneself
- Body Location Where Physical Issues May Occur: throat, lungs, sinuses
- Physical issues which may occur: Disorders associated with the throat, mouth, and nose.
- Gland Association: Thyroid
- Organ Association: Bronchial tubes, vocal cords, respiratory system, mouth, tongue, esophagus
Mantras to use when working with the Fifth Chakra
“I listen and think before I speak.”
“I speak the truth, whether it is right or wrong.”
“I fully and creatively express myself.”
Essential Oils to use with the 5th Chakra
The Sixth Chakra | Third Eye Chakra
- Sanskrit Name: Ajna
- Color: Indigo
- Element: light
- Location: Third Eye (space between eyebrows)
- Balanced Qualities: Intention, intuition, optimistic, aware, good memory, wise, able to execute plans, good sleeper, calm.
- Underactive Qualities: lack of direction, inability to make plans or set goals, poor memory, difficulty envisioning the future, poor imagination.
- Overactive Qualities: Paranoia, obsession with psychic visions, experiences frequent nightmares, difficulty with concentrating.
- Main Right: to see
- Body Location Where Physical Issues May Occur: eyes and ears
- Physical issues which may occur: Headaches, migraines, mental illness.
- Gland Association: Pituitary
- Organ Association: Eyes, Pituitary, Pineal Gland, Brain
Mantras to use when working with the Sixth Chakra
“I honor and follow my intuition.”
“I am safe to see the truth.”
“I am connected to the Divine Source.”
Essential Oils to use with the 6th Chakra
- Clary Sage
The Seventh Chakra | Crown Chakra
- Sanskrit Name: Sahasrara
- Color: White/Violet
- Element: Space
- Location: Crown of the head (cerebral cortex)
- Balanced Qualities: Connection with divine, love, and acceptance towards life, open minded, able to recognize and receive spiritual guidance, comfortable on earth.
- Underactive Qualities: Negativity, separation, duality, lack of belief in a higher power, experiences learning difficulties.
- Overactive Qualities: Spiritual addiction, confusion, lack of body association, overly intelligent.
- Main Right: to know, to Learn
- Body Location Where Physical Issues May Occur: Brain
- Physical issues which may occur: Cognitive function issues
- Gland Association: Pineal
- Organ Association: Spinal Cord, Brain Stem
Mantras to use when working with the Seventh Chakra
“I will forever be expanding, growing, and evolving.”
“I am a Divine Being.”
“My soul is infinite.”
Essential Oils to use with the 7th Chakra
- Roman Chamomile
If you are interested to learn more about essential oils, check the resources I offer here on my site.
from my heart to yours,
Contact me to schedule your one to one personal wellness consultation.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
One of the ways to address elevated levels of anxiety and stress in your life is to look at how you can improve your sleep quality. Lack of sleep is linked to higher rates of inflammation, lowered immunity, anxiety, stress, and even depression. It also accelerates...
My first experience with Reiki happened back in 2012 while I was living in Dharamsala, India. At the time, I was working full-time on my advanced yoga teacher training certification. In addition, I was also studying Buddhist philosophy with H.H. the Dalai Lama. Why...